Your home is a haven for you and your family, making it essential to create the perfect living environment. Whether you spend only a couple of hours in there or have been cooped up for weeks due to the pandemic, your home should provide safety and serenity above all else.
2020 gave us a reality check on how we interact with our homes. It also empowered us to use these spaces more creatively, changing how we plan and design them.
Let’s have a look at some of the custom home trends that will dominate 2021.
1. Smart Homes
According to research, the global smart home market revenue is forecasted to cross US$ 141 billion by 2023.
Security, lighting, and temperature maintenance are just some of the features of home automation. Over the past few years, home technology has become highly sophisticated. Just think about it: your smartphone or tablet lets you control your home even when you’re not there. You can use a variety of apps, Google and Alexa voice commands to:
- Turn on the air conditioner before you get home from work on a hot day, so you don’t have to wait for your room to get cold. Isn’t that literally so cool?
- Keep an eye on security camera footage through your phone when you aren’t at home
- Remotely turn on the front porch lights to fool any intruders trying to break in.
These are some of the many home automation examples that you can install this year.
2. Natural And Organic Elements
Polished metal faucets, wooden cabinets, stone countertops are just some of the ways you can bring nature inside your home this year.
Design experts also believe that wicker and rattan furniture and décor will also rule in 2021 because of their all-natural feel as well as light and airy qualities. We’ve already seen leading designers add wicker baskets to their home décor lineup.
Similarly, bricks, wood, and even an exposed stone wall can be the perfect accents to a modern home, bringing an organic beauty to it.
3. Maximum Functionality
2020 really made us think about optimizing our living spaces as the world went into full lockdown mode. Our homes were no longer only for meals and a good night’s sleep. We ended up working, attending meetings, exercising, or just lounging in the same few rooms, day in and day out.
As a result, people are expanding the functionality of their houses in 2021. Pandemic or no pandemic, it is always a great idea to have dedicated spaces in your house to carry out your daily activities and also unwind.
- You can have a personal gym room to not miss out on your daily workout
- A quiet study room with proper Wi-Fi connections where your kids can take their virtual classes
- A separate office room which is away from a baby room, where you can work and take meetings to avoid noise
- A beautifully decorated patio or outdoor garden space where you can have special dinners from time to time to make up for restaurant dinners
- If you are a fan of movies and television shows and want family movie nights, then a home theater is another addition to consider
4. Perfect Vibrant Colors For 2021
We are, of course, talking about the Pantone colors for 2021, Ultimate Gray and Illuminating Yellow.
These are great options for use around the home. Kitchens, living room accents, garden décor, everything will look good in these complimentary colors. For example, a big bright yellow rug set off against a lovely sofa in Ultimate Gray will give life to your home.
If nothing else, you could dray details like pots, vases, and other décor accessories for a nice geometric touch to your home.
Generally, homeowners tend to use easy-to-clean accessories in the family room. You could find plenty of those in these foolproof colors and still update your home for 2021. An accent wall in Illuminating yellow will also do well, even with moody décor and sophisticated colors.
5. Old Meets New
Most of us love to take a walk down memory lane, using family heirlooms or mom’s china as decorative pieces. For everyone else, there are plenty of flea markets and thrift shops where they can score some old-school glamour for less.
There has been a renewed drive for green living and conserving Earth’s resources. As a result, it’s suddenly cool to recycle and upcycle building products and décor from older projects. An exciting way to use this idea in your home is to install old wood rail wood ties as beams to support the ceilings.
6. Entertainment Central
We’re sure that none of us can’t wait for the pandemic to be over so we can start throwing parties and family dinners again. If you are building your custom house, consider the future entertainment needs of your family and loved ones.
Here are a few upgrades you should consider:
- Luxury pool to relax or have a pool party
- Gaming room to play FIFA, Madden, or PUBG with your friends on the weekend
- A dedicated play area for the kids
- A modern room or hall where you can host parties, family, and holiday dinners
If you want to live in a custom home, we recommend you do it the right way. Whether you spend your entire day over there or some hours, your home should be highly functional and comfortable.
You want your custom home to stand out, and these trends will help you make a better and informed decision as they consider the world we live in and the needs we might have.
Of course, you can put your own twist to it, so your custom home is a true reflection of your personality!